Sunday, October 21, 2007

Time to down tools

Well it's now time for resection surgery. I've been told this will happen either this Thursday or the following Tuesday. Thus I have to down tools (3DS, Max Photoshop) the time being. How long I will be out of the loop I do not know. It will possibly be a couple of months before I can sit down for any length of time at a desk.

I had hoped at one stage to finish the Sopwith Snipe before surgery. However there is still much to do to that aircraft. I still have the blurred texture of the spinning rotary engine to perfect on the external model and much to complete & possibly have to rework on the interior model. I may futher post a WIP later today.

Much of the modeling learning curve for FSX is over. I intend use a modeling pipeline of first to CFS3 then the X version. The main stumbling block is the texture mapping. FSX uses a multiple 1024 texture approach, whereas CFS3 generally uses a single texture on the exterior model. Contemporary CFS3 modelers are starting to use 2048 textures. One can use the multi texture approach in CFS3 also. However bullet holes will only appear on one of them. I'll experiment.

Current aircraft being created which I hope to complete in 2008 include:-
  • Sopwith Snipe - freeware FSX/CFS3
  • Sopwith Baby - freeware FSX/CFS3
  • Seimens Schukert DIII/DIV - freeware (FSX/CFS3)
  • Junkers D.I - freeware (FSX/CFS3)
  • Albatros D.Va - freeware FSX
  • Sopwith Triplane - freeware FSX
  • Sopwith Dolphin - TBA
  • Airco D.H.9 - TBA
  • Boulton Paul Defiant Mk.1 - freeware CFS3
  • Grumman F6F-3 - freeware FSX/CFS3
  • Curtiss SB2C - freeware CFS3
  • Me P.1112 - freeware CFS3
  • Blohm und Voss BV P212.03 - freeware CFS3
This list does not reflect priority. I jump around a fair bit. There are others that I hope to start and I've omitted a couple of possible payware projects from the above list. While I face an uncertain future it's best to concentrate on freeware. It's relaxing ;)

Cheers

Rob